A Small Dataset
Ten values are plotted on a number line below.
Hover your mouse over each of the lines.
- What is the mean of the ten numbers?
What is their median?
- Describe what happens:
- Explain why the median doesn't change when you drag one point:
- Figure out how to get the median to change and explain what you did:
Click and drag one of the points.
A Larger Dataset
This time one hundred values.
Experiment with dragging points, pay particular attention to the behavior of the lines for the mean and median.
- How does the behavior of the mean when you drag one point in this large dataset compare with its behavior in the small dataset?
- How does the behavior of the median when you drag one point in this large dataset compare with its behavior in the small dataset?